Cursed Heart Container and Blood Debt

Find a bug? Please report it here!

Cursed Heart Container and Blood Debt

Postby maadneet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:42 pm

Purchasing a Cursed Heart Container from a blood merchant while having health matching the price causes the character to die (except Nocturna, of course), but have a full cursed heart remaining on health. Done on Windows/Steam v2.41, and easily reproducible in the level editor.
maadneet
Green Slime

Re: Cursed Heart Container and Blood Debt

Postby biggiemac » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 am

This is how it should be.

It's the case with regular full heart containers as well. The order of effect is "pay blood debt" then "receive item". The item shows as purchased and appears in your inventory (e.g., same happens with boots of pain at less than 1.5 hearts), but you are dead.
biggiemac
Blue Slime

Postby maadneet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Right, but with regular full heart containers they are at least "emptied out" to make that more apparent. It's confusing to die while the screen shows you have health left, I guess.

http://i.imgur.com/znTECT8.png

Then again, cursed hearts don't "empty out", they just disappear, so I'm not sure if there's a better alternative.
maadneet
Green Slime

Postby biggiemac » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:54 am

I still maintain that screenshot is identical to the behavior for regular hearts. I recall a death of mine by purchasing a filled heart with my last heart. The game showed that I died while there was still one filled heart visible (the newly added one).
biggiemac
Blue Slime

Postby Arachness » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Thanks for letting us know about this interaction and providing a screenshot, maadneet! I agree that this situation seems confusing and unintuitive. I'll discuss it with the rest of the team and see what we can do to improve it.
Arachness
Brace Yourself Games Staff

Return to Bug Reports