PC the game wont open

Having trouble getting the game to work? Ask for help here!

PC the game wont open

Postby ChamAlien » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:03 pm

I have tried to clear cache and I have restarted my computer. What should I do?
ChamAlien
Green Slime

Re: PC the game wont open

Postby Arachness » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:40 pm

Hi! Have you tried the fixes in the FAQ? These are usually the cause of the game not starting/crashing on start up:

There are a variety of programs that can interfere with Steam and prevent the game from running. This includes virus scanners, malware programs, and other utilities. Valve provides a list of such programs here:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -SFLZ-9289

Try disabling or uninstalling all such programs, rebooting your machine, and running the game again. If that doesn't work, you can:
- Try whitelisting the NecroDancer.exe file with your virus scanner or other such program.
- Or try to verify the game cache (right click on Crypt of the NecroDancer in your Steam library and select Properties, then the "Local Files" tab, then click "Verify integrity of game cache").
- Or try disabling the Steam overlay (go to Steam's preferences, then click "In-Game", then uncheck the "Enable the Steam Overlay while in-game" checkbox).
- Or go into the game folder, within SteamApps, right click, and run it as administrator.
- If the game crashes in fullscreen mode, but not windowed, check to see if you have an nVidia video card. If you do, uninstall your latest video card driver update and reinstall the previous version.

If that doesn't work, you may have a corrupted save file (this can happen even if you haven't played the game yet) -
Open Steam. Go to your Library list and right-click on Crypt of the NecroDancer. Select "Properties", then click the "Local Files" tab. Click the "Browse local files..." button. Open the "data" subfolder. Rename the save_game.xml file to something else, then try running the game.

If nothing else works, please try the following:
- Manually delete all of the game's files from the SteamApps folder. Then click uninstall from within Steam to make sure it recognizes that the game is gone, reinstall it, restart both Steam, and your machine.
It's very important that you manually delete the files and follow the steps above. Sometimes Steam doesn't always delete all files when you click on Uninstall.

If none of these solutions work, let me know and I'll help you try to fix it.
Arachness
Brace Yourself Games Staff

Re: PC the game wont open

Postby Blobo » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:22 am

I had the same issue. Thanks! It was the corrupt save file.
Blobo
Blue Slime

Return to Technical Support