Have an idea for the Amplified Codex? Post here!

Want to suggest that we add something new to the game? Do it here!

Have an idea for the Amplified Codex? Post here!

Postby Arachness » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:38 pm

We are going to be updating the Codex with Amplified. If you would like to help, please read further:

- We are only taking ideas for the Codex right now so, please don't make any levels until your idea is approved by me.
- Please submit your idea by posting in the thread.
- Codex levels should be things that a new player might not understand about the game and that can be taught in an easy-to-understand way.
- New Codex ideas can include mechanics from Amplified, but Amplified mechanics aren't required. If there are base game mechanics you feel would be good, you can use those.
- Deadline: Monday, Feb 6th at 6pm PST - I'm writing the ideas down and they will be discussed on Tuesday. I'll get back to you after that to let you know if it got in or not.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Arachness
Brace Yourself Games Staff

Re: Have an idea for the Amplified Codex? Post here!

Postby TicTacFoe » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Leprechaun spawning...and then killing!
TicTacFoe
White Skeleton

Postby vonflare » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:20 pm

TicTacFoe wrote:Leprechaun spawning...and then killing!

this so much.

it's such a core concept for advanced play
vonflare
Wraith

Postby shade_of_ox » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:00 pm

Shrine tutorials. Shrines are the one part of the game that confused me as a new player for a long time. The game doesn't provide particularly good descriptions for what each shrine does as you come across it, and I usually would just skip the shrines to avoid accidentally screwing myself over (I had a bad experience with Rythm as my first shrine). If the game gave players a tutorial in how shrines work, that would help this a lot in my opinion.

Idk if it's a requirement for the entire Codex to be Bard (that would render some shrines irrelevant such as Rythm) but it is easy enough to make codex levels for easier ones.

What complicates this is that I don't know if the levels in the Codex are allowed to have more than one level, and quite a few shrines (Peace, War, Rythm) only have an effect on future levels. Still:

Shrine of Glass: Start with half a heart, a dagger with another dagger holstered, and a Helm. Shopkeeper blocks the path to the exit and you must kill him.
Solution: Hit the shrine of glass (glass jaw, glass rapier), then throw a dagger at the shopkeep (doesn't matter if it's glass or not, I'm not sure if the shrine affects holstered weapons but you will have at least one glass dagger). Then you switch to the other dagger and kill the shopkeeper to get to the exit/next room)

(Also this doubles as a holster tutorial! :O)

May add other levels later but it's the idea that's the main thing.
shade_of_ox
Blue Bat

Postby Spooty » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:00 pm

Footwear/terrain tutorial. Players go for very long times without knowing which boots protect against what, let alone how rarer stuff like Boots of Pain, Boots of Leaping, and Boots of Lunging work at all. On the terrain front, I still find people trying to beat Aria for the first time who don't understand that ice requires you to *not* attempt to move, and think that ice is simply insta-death for Aria.
Spooty
Red Bat

Postby vonflare » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Spooty wrote:ice requires you to *not* attempt to move, and think that ice is simply insta-death for Aria.

I never really thought about this, but I could see that happening. Like, a new player not understanding how ice works and never reading any guides or anything might think that.
vonflare
Wraith

Postby WarioEAG » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 pm

A needed suggestion: Killing secret shopkeepers

I've made videos on youtube about killing them, and usually (most of the time) they're rewarding. Like how the health shopkeeper can be killed from the left wall with a dagger toss to the right then just moving up once for the bomb to detonate (or plant a bomb next to his left side then move to the left wall then up one tile when the bomb spawns). Or using one bomb for the pawnbroker above the "selling headgear" tile then moving left then town, then hitting the broker once (making him bump back up once), go down a tile, get out of sludge, and hit him again to kill him for free gold and a coupon. Though I don't think blood shopkeepers or glass shopkeepers should count since they teleport randomly. The transmuter can be killed pretty easily with a bomb ontop of him then hitting him once by lurking at the top of the shop.

I hope this helps :D
WarioEAG
Blue Slime

Postby TrueLunar » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 am

I would say a quick tutorial of new Amplified mechanics. One room can show you about wires and shock patterns, another can show the new weapon types and their spacing and usage, and so on for any new mechanics introduced.
TrueLunar
Green Slime

Postby Oblivion » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:42 am

Ring Codex: Teach the player of various ring effects in practice. For example;
  • Ring of Gold: Gold Kills
  • Courage: Avoiding trap damage, and damage from enemies.
  • War: Knockback and pin enemies

Blood Magic/Advanced Spell Usage Codex: A lot of players don't know blood magic even exists! This is a nice advanced strategy. Could also teach heal spell invulnerability frames in this codex. Also could teach Earth Spell insta-kills.

Trap Door Arena Codex: I think this is valuable to a lot of people for learning, even veterans.

Shovel Codex: With all the new cool shovels I think it would be neat to showcase some levels using their abilities and their applications. Could show off gigantism's effect on digging walls and shop walls.

Familiar Codex: it's not clear how to use these, so teaching the player this would be nice. Could show niche uses of the familiars like the snowman or rat killing shopkeeper, the shopkeeper familiar giving iframes etc.
Oblivion
White Skeleton

Postby Violet CLM » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:48 pm

I watch a lot of people starting their playthroughs and hardly anybody ever thinks to open a crate or a barrel. They bash it against the wall a few times, decide it's unbreakable, and move on with their lives. The few times they do (often guided there by a monocle) they open it by placing a bomb. Bomb traps, spike traps, trapdoors, spells, boots of pain, and 3+ weapon damage are not things people try but are things that could reasonably be taught.
Violet CLM
Blue Bat

Next

Return to Suggest New Features