OFF - Anyone here played it?

Discuss anything you like, as long as it's NOT related to Brace Yourself Games!

OFF - Anyone here played it?

Postby CJ The Beatless » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:11 pm

I've recently gone back to a (free) RPG that became kind of a cult classic a while back, OFF. I was wondering if anyone else here had played it, and what they had thought of it. Mostly because I have no friends. If you haven't played it, it's s super good puzzle/turn-based rpg and I highly recommend it.

You can download it at http://forum.starmen.net/forum/Fan/Game ... rtis-Ghost if you're interested!
If I could remove all bats from all games forever I would
CJ The Beatless
Zombie

Re: OFF - Anyone here played it?

Postby Nathaniel » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:26 pm

I haven't played it, but I'll give it a try! :D2
Nathaniel
Zombie

Location: So many people expect so much from me and I am going to have a fun time letting them all down.

Postby CJ The Beatless » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:45 am

Just realized I should have called this "OFF topic". That's lame...
If I could remove all bats from all games forever I would
CJ The Beatless
Zombie

Postby Nathaniel » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:15 pm

CJ The Beatless wrote:Just realized I should have called this "OFF topic". That's lame...

Puns are supposedly the lowest form of humor, although that doesn't make them any the less awesome (especially an ingenious one like that!)

Just finished it a few days ago - it was quite great! The combat was nothing to shake a stick at, but that wasn't really the main draw of the game. I'll avoid any spoilery stuff in case anyone else reading this is interested, but the surreal aspects of it were really well done and the progression of the story made it hard to stop playing.

I do have to say though, as someone who loves soundtracks and has an mp3 player filled with nothing but, I adored the musical score more than anything else. "Friggin' Awesome" is the technical term for it, I believe.
Nathaniel
Zombie

Location: So many people expect so much from me and I am going to have a fun time letting them all down.

Postby Connorses » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:56 pm

Yeah, the soundtrack was good. That fight song, Pepper Steak, it's so catchy.

SPOILERY DISCUSSION:
Spoiler:
I recall an interesting discussion (I forget where I read it) on the game's symbolism. The Batter is represented as a baseball player, someone fun that the player can relate to, and dresses in white, and has 3 add-ons and there was some evidence that they are suppose to allude to the holy trinity. He gets all kinds of pure, good kinds of symbolism because that's how he sees himself. As for the rest of the world, well... There's also evidence that he looks like Monster Batter to everyone else the entire game and not just at the very end. He's friggin scary.

But that's not the creepy part. The scariest thing about this game is that, there is actually a lot of messed up stuff going on in the world, and it may be that Batter simply couldn't think of a better solution to it then just ending it all. And when you find out that sugar is Soylent Green, you start to think maybe Enoch had it coming. But it still doesn't justify erasing the entire world.

This game fascinates me on so many levels. It inverts the whole concept of standard RPG storytelling. The player is told right off the bat that they are supposed to control the Batter and guide him in saving the world, but the player doesn't really have all that much choice. There is a linear path through the game, just like many RPGs. However, in this game, you slowly realize that you might not be the hero, and that the Batter is the one who is in control of the path. There is no "good ending" to Off. The best ending is the one where you quit playing. o_O

Zacharie is my waifu.
WARNING: This is a signature.
Connorses
Wraith

Postby scottcrowan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:36 pm

Thumbnail Image..
Last edited by scottcrowan on Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
scottcrowan
Blue Bat

Postby Austin2Be » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:02 pm

let me try a see if its good :)
Austin2Be
Green Slime

Postby michaelweber » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:13 pm

I haven't played it yet, But I will surely look forward to give it a try. I remember one of my friend is biggest fan of playing it, ever since he pre-order this game along with World of Warcraft Legion new version from the Website of instant-gaming.
michaelweber
Green Slime

Return to Off Topic