Video Recording from PC Screen

Discuss anything you like, as long as it's NOT related to Brace Yourself Games!

Video Recording from PC Screen

Postby NecroDanceTheConga » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 am

Hey everyone,

So I'd like to put up some gameplay videos of NecroDancer while I practice but I need something to record video from my Desktop. Does anyone know of any freeware or inexpensive software to do this? I already have editing software, I just need something to record.
NecroDanceTheConga
Purple Monkey

Re: Video Recording from PC Screen

Postby TheBoss10987 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:35 am

OBS or Xsplit. These what what 95% of people that live stream use. You can also record a local file with them. Xsplit has a free version, but it will bother you to upgrade every time you load it up. I use OBS. Its completely free and has every feature that the paid version of Xsplit has. I have used both in the past, and out of the two, I like OBS a ton more. Here are their links, so you can check them out for yourself

https://obsproject.com/

https://www.xsplit.com/
END OF THE LINE \m/
TheBoss10987

Postby EladDifficult » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:52 am

I too use OBS all the time. I used xsplit for a solid 8 months before 'seeing the light'. It's way better. I tend to use it to stream but will be recording some videos this weekend using the offline capture mode.
EladDifficult

Postby NecroDanceTheConga » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:08 pm

TheBoss10987 wrote:OBS or Xsplit. These what what 95% of people that live stream use. You can also record a local file with them. Xsplit has a free version, but it will bother you to upgrade every time you load it up. I use OBS. Its completely free and has every feature that the paid version of Xsplit has. I have used both in the past, and out of the two, I like OBS a ton more. Here are their links, so you can check them out for yourself

https://obsproject.com/

https://www.xsplit.com/

I tried OBS but it won't support my video card. So I'm out looking for an alternative. My laptop is pretty dated which might be the problem but I want to at least try and see if I can record for YouTube. Will try XSplit though.
NecroDanceTheConga
Purple Monkey

Postby TheBoss10987 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm

on my dinosaur laptop i was still able to run both of these programs to stream. So hopefully Xsplit will be able to get the job done. What exactly did it do (or say) when you tried OBS?
END OF THE LINE \m/
TheBoss10987

Postby NecroDanceTheConga » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:15 pm

TheBoss10987 wrote:on my dinosaur laptop i was still able to run both of these programs to stream. So hopefully Xsplit will be able to get the job done. What exactly did it do (or say) when you tried OBS?

It literally said that my video card wasn't supported. It had something to do with DirectX 10. I'm pretty sure I have DirectX 10. I can try it again either tomorrow evening or Sunday. I have a cosplay event tomorrow.
NecroDanceTheConga
Purple Monkey

Postby TheBoss10987 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:31 pm

Alright, just let me know how it goes! now i am curious! lol Have fun at your event man!
END OF THE LINE \m/
TheBoss10987

Postby NecroDanceTheConga » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:34 pm

TheBoss10987 wrote:Alright, just let me know how it goes! now i am curious! lol Have fun at your event man!

I will! The folks in Elad's Twitch chat tonight saw these but this is one of two NERF guns that I just finished repainting to look like Star-Lord's Quad Blasters from Guardians of the Galaxy!

Just about 4-6 hours went into each NERF gun. Sanded, primed, and spray painted... Then I hand-painted about 3-4 coats of the silver so that it looks like brushed metal.
NecroDanceTheConga
Purple Monkey

Postby TheBoss10987 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:44 am

Thats awesome!

And for an on topic part of the post, it looks like OBS just put out a new test build, which is compatible with Direct X 8. So if it was a DX10 issue, this build may be what you are looking for.
Its a test build so it may not be completely stable, but they said they would like some testers. Here is the link to their Tweet.

https://twitter.com/OBSProject/status/4 ... 4449714176
END OF THE LINE \m/
TheBoss10987

Postby DotBeta » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:39 pm

+1 for OBS, works for me.
DotBeta
White Skeleton

Next

Return to Off Topic