Other roguelikes you've played?

Discuss anything you like, as long as it's NOT related to Brace Yourself Games!

Other roguelikes you've played?

Postby Patashu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:11 pm

My favourite roguelikes atm are
Sil: http://www.amirrorclear.net/flowers/game/sil/ I have one win. Great tutorial, great manual, great gameplay, anti-scumming, lots of ways to build your character, very coherent low-magic Tolkien First Age theme. Supports stealth/pacifist gameplay.
Brogue: https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/ I have two wins. Amazing graphics for an 'ASCII game' using lots of colours and animation. Enchanting the right staffs/charms/weapons/armour can make you feel very powerful until something stronger comes your way. All enemies feel very distinct in what they do and how you must tackle them. Anti-scumming mechanics, supports stealth gameplay.

And I have played and enjoyed in the past
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup: http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/ I have about 5-6 online wins.
Nethack: I almost won this once. I'm really heavily spoiled in this game. For those who have never played this game, it has a huge, huge amount of hidden mechanics, non-trivial interactions, easter eggs that give you mechanical information, edge cases, optimal ways to scum, etc and without being spoiled it is incredibly hard to win, you have to gather knowledge about the game by yourself, listen to all of the oracle's tips, etc etc.
Tome2/Angband/Steamband/variants: *bands are typically slow paced but with the ability to die very quickly if you overestimate your opponents, and at the same time allowing you to accumulate huge amounts of safe escapes (teleport, teleport level, teleport away, healing, etc etc) and also have an infinitely regenerating dungeon, leading to a kind of pace not seen in most modern roguelikes.
Patashu
Ghost

Re: Other roguelikes you've played?

Postby Ryan Clark » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Roguelike-likes:
- Spelunky
- FTL
- Dwarf Fortress

Roguelikes:
- Shiren
- NetHack
- ROGUE ITSELF
Ryan Clark
Founder, Brace Yourself Games

Postby Patashu » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:42 pm

Oh yeah - the Shiren series! Those games are fun, tough though.

For those who have never played a Shiren the Wanderer: Mysterious Dungeon game, there is an English translation patch for the SNES game here: http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=shiren - You can apply that to a JP ROM and thus play in English. There's also a DS Shiren game that's in English, but DS emulators don't run smoothly on everyone's computer.
Patashu
Ghost

Postby Nathaniel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:41 pm

NetHack was awesome, especially in the old ASCII form. It really gives quite the experience.

(Except when you drink a certain cursed potion and literally FLY UP INTO THE CEILING to the floor above. :lol )
Nathaniel
Zombie

Location: So many people expect so much from me and I am going to have a fun time letting them all down.

Postby Arseface » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:39 am

I just started playing Caves of Qud and I'm having a blast.

It's like Fallout. Basically the world is now covered in mutants and lost technologies are considered artifacts. I like playing as a mental mutant because I feel like an X men dude.
Arseface
Blue Slime

Postby TheDrHahn » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm

My favorite roguelike-likes atm are Nuclear Throne & Delver. Risk of Rain too has some random elements, but I wouldn't call it a roguelike or like-like.
TheDrHahn
Blue Slime

Postby Ryan Clark » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:36 pm

I liked Risk of Rain a lot! Played it through a few times.
Ryan Clark

Postby Arseface » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 am

Some guy on the Brogue forum is trying to gather data on roguelikes people played last year. I used it as a list of games to look at, and sent my votes in to be fair. Figured you guys might be interested as well.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13T_HBm ... 4/viewform

On that note, Brogue has kind of consumed my soul at this point. It does a very good job of letting players learn the game without making it spoilable. None of the mechanics are hidden, they just aren't obvious in all the ways they work. Lots of creative problem solving.

Like how gasses can catch on fire, initially you'd think "well then I shouldn't light fires in gasses I'm in".
Then later you realize "I can throw a gas potion at an enemy so they get hit by the effect, then light it up so everybody in the effect also gets burned".
So now you turn single target spells into AOEs without having to rely on obscure commands, hidden mechanics, or level grinding.
Arseface
Blue Slime

Postby Ryan Clark » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:06 pm

Interesting, thanks Arseface!

I agree that Brogue is amazing. It's definitely my favourite of the "true" roguelikes, at the moment.
Ryan Clark

Postby Jim » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:48 pm

FTL, which I've put waaaay too many hours into (although isn't that a roguelike-like?) and 86856527 (the original :3)

INTRUDERS ON BOARD SHIP
*crew runs around in circles to escape Mantis attackers*

GAME OVER
Awww...
Class Jim
Field addiction:String
Method New()
Self.addiction = "NecroDancing"
End
End
Jim
Ghost