now that materials have been added for the cutlass..

Discuss the game, your favorite strategies, and anything else related to Crypt of the NecroDancer beyond bug reports, feature suggestions, and tech support.

now that materials have been added for the cutlass..

Postby vonflare » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 am

how do you think it should be balanced? It's currently not even close to balanced, I'd say it's even better than the winhammer. The only downside was that you couldn't get it in obsidian.
vonflare
Wraith

Re: now that materials have been added for the cutlass..

Postby biggiemac » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Even a base cutlass trivializes trapdoor arenas and non-teleporting shopkeeper kills. I think the invulnerability mechanic has to change for the weapon to be balanced, and how severe the change can determine whether materials are a good idea.

I've seen a suggestion to prevent parrying multiple beats in a row but am not sure how playable that would be. It'd take some getting used to.

Perhaps have it parry only at dagger range, and instead lunge at 2 range, leaving you vulnerable if lunging. Shopkeeper would still be trivial but minibosses would require care.

Or just demote it to dagger range. That would still allow you to chain attacks mindlessly at enemies that attack every other beat, but the approach parity would now matter.
biggiemac
Blue Slime

Postby missingno » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Dagger range. This combined with the knockback on parry prevents you from just mashing, you have to actually reposition yourself safely.
missingno
Blue Bat

Postby vonflare » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:24 pm

missingno wrote:Dagger range. This combined with the knockback on parry prevents you from just mashing, you have to actually reposition yourself safely.

yeah, this is a no-brainer to me, but maybe they have reasons why they dont want it dagger range?
vonflare
Wraith

Postby shade_of_ox » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:34 pm

Range 2, lunge at range 2, parry at range 1, can't parry consecutive hits would balance it IMO

range 2 would put you into danger if you just spam it mindlessly especially since it does not give bonus damage

range 1 is safe but you need to play where it will knock you since you can't parry consecutive hits
shade_of_ox
Blue Bat

Return to Gameplay, strategy, and general discussion