Custom Character Skins

Discuss the game, your favorite strategies, and anything else related to Crypt of the NecroDancer beyond bug reports, feature suggestions, and tech support.

Custom Character Skins

Postby Shadoxx Aurion » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:31 pm

Hi!
This is a topic to share / show your custom character skins.

How to install a custom skin:
    ♦ Download and extract one of the custom skins.
    ♦ Navigate to the Crypt of The Necrodancer game folder.
    ♦ Go to the entities subfolder. (data/entities)
    ♦ Replace the files name_heads.png and name_armor_body.png of a character with the files you downloaded.
      Cadence: player1_heads.png and player1_armor_body.png
      Aria: char2_heads.png and char2_armor_body.png
      Bard: char9_heads.png and char9_armor_body.png
    ♦ Enjoy !

Custom Skins (Click on the name of a skin to download it):
[KA] => Karma's Armors
[CA] => Custom Armors
[IH] => Invisible head

Shadoxx Aurion:
Rikamatsu:
darkstalker88:
NecroDanceTheConga:
MildlyIncandescent:

Small Tips:
    ♦ If you want to do a skin with long hairs, or with heads determined by armors, you should use an invisible head, and sprite the head on the armor, that way, you'll keep a clean outline, and you'll be able to make helmets/heats.
    ♦ Every skin posted with the resources to use it will be added to the list. You don't need to ask if you want me to add them.

Resources:
You can use these things to make your skins, as long as you respect the conditions.
    Karma's Armors: The armors I used for my first custom skin. You can use them as long as you at least link to this topic if you share your skin elsewhere.
    Invisi-head: An empty head, perfect if you want to make a skin where the heads are on the armor sprites.
    Gradient-O-Matic: A small PSD that allows you to get colors similar to the colors of my skins. You're probably not going to get the same results, though, because I'm making my color palettes myself. Just play with the layers to get good results. Also, when you're finished, you can use a 65px pixellisation filter to get the colors automatically separated.

List changelog:
08/16/2014: Added skins "Kirito", "Indiana Jones", "Simon Belmont (Lors of Shadows)", "Chris Redfield", "Hanako" and "Cadence as Black Widow". Skins are now separated by usernames. Resources "Karma's Armors", "Invisi-head" and "Gradient-O-Matic" added.
08/12/2014: Added skin "Joe Musachi".
08/12/2014: Updated skin "Death", added "Richter Belmont" and "Link (A Link to The Past)".
08/11/2014: Added skin "The Bard as The Incredible Hulk".
08/10/2014: Added skin "Death", updated the tips, added tags to the list.
08/10/2014: List created, added skins "Karma Aurion", "Curly Brace", and "Hatsune Miku".

I hope this topic will be useful. :3
Have fun making skins!
Last edited by Shadoxx Aurion on Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sorry if my English's bad, or if I don't understand one of your posts. That's because I'm French.
Shadoxx Aurion
White Skeleton

Re: Custom Character Skins

Postby EladDifficult » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:21 pm

Here's my skin.

Here's the head:

Here's the body:

EladDifficult

Postby Shadoxx Aurion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:08 am

I like your skin, but there's something weird with the head. I think it would be better if you finish the outline for Frame 3 and 4. Or maybe I'm mistaking and the error is in the GIF itself, I think the head is 1 pixel too high.

(I fixed the Karate Gi of my skin, butthe gif isn't updated.)
Sorry if my English's bad, or if I don't understand one of your posts. That's because I'm French.
Shadoxx Aurion
White Skeleton

Postby rossmallo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:10 am

...At the risk of completely obliterating my credibility, here's a WiP one I'm doing of Nami, a dungeon-exploring dragon character of mine.

Haven't got the unique flying head sprite down (just copied and pasted the first one so it didn't revert to Cadence mid-game), and only got one armour working so far.

*ready to be crucified*
rossmallo
Blue Slime

Postby DeamonHunter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:17 am

Here are mine. I may do some more work with the head to fix the animation a tiny bit. (I haven't done a gif yet)
DeamonHunter

Postby Shadoxx Aurion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:30 am

rossmallo wrote:...At the risk of completely obliterating my credibility, here's a WiP one I'm doing of Nami, a dungeon-exploring dragon character of mine.

Haven't got the unique flying head sprite down (just copied and pasted the first one so it didn't revert to Cadence mid-game), and only got one armour working so far.

*ready to be crucified*

Great skin! And very... Unique, I really like this one! :3

DeamonHunter wrote:Image

Here are mine. I may do some more work with the head to fix the animation a tiny bit. (I haven't done a gif yet)

I think there's something strange about the hairs, but I don't really know what. Maybe the shading.

Small tip: You can make skins that wears hats/helmets simply by making an invisible head, and making the heads directly on the armor files.
Shadoxx Aurion
White Skeleton

Postby EladDifficult » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:02 am

Shadoxx Aurion wrote:I like your skin, but there's something weird with the head. I think it would be better if you finish the outline for Frame 3 and 4. Or maybe I'm mistaking and the error is in the GIF itself, I think the head is 1 pixel too high.

(I fixed the Karate Gi of my skin, butthe gif isn't updated.)

It only looks weird on a white background IMO. I tried it with the black outline and it looked worse. In game it looks fine to me.
EladDifficult

Postby Luveluen » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:38 am

This is what I use.
The big question is - which direction does the beard spin in?

Trying to transfer PrincezzxDiana's Bwunny into the game:

Luveluen

Postby NecroDanceTheConga » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:19 am

Natasha Romanoff AKA Black Widow as Cadence
NecroDanceTheConga
Purple Monkey

Postby Shadoxx Aurion » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:19 pm

Luveluen wrote:Image

This is what I use.
The big question is - which direction does the beard spin in?

Trying to transfer PrincezzxDiana's Bwunny into the game:

The first character looks cool, especially with that beard. :3

You should do something for the eyes of the Bunny, the animation is good, though.
Shadoxx Aurion
White Skeleton

Next

Return to Gameplay, strategy, and general discussion