Terrible Russian localization

Having trouble getting the game to work? Ask for help here!

Terrible Russian localization

Postby toby3d » Sun May 01, 2016 2:17 pm

tl;dr: Official Russian localization = sucks
The inscriptions are decorated badly and, moments, they are unreadable. In spite of all my love for the game from the time of closed alpha I really do not understand plans of developers.

---

Some time ago, I offered to help with the introduction of Russian localization of the game (and work on russificator started me already), but in the second letter, I was refused.
Thumbnail Image
Considering that the Russian language will not be embedded at all, I continued to work on the language support of the largest Russian translation portal for games. And now the game refreshed. With Russian localization. And it is sucks. Overly broad lines, wrong translations of terms, coordinates offset - you seriously believe that THIS is the official localization?

I'm working on my russificator since December 2015 st. I rewrote it three times ("thanks", Windows10) and each time adhered to the rules of "be as canonical", from the translation of words and phrases to the size with coordinates. Despite my terrible design skills I have developed a font for the Cyrillic alphabet, maximally close to a game. Several times I have checked the external quality of the translation to audiences, to correct the mistakes and shortcomings. And when it was for small - comes the long-awaited patch that ... Injects Russian localization!
"What the hell? I thought they did not have such plans!" I thought, and delighted, to run the game. And, in general, a good patch (which did not fixed some problems), but an attempt to play the game in their native language turned into a real disappointment. And anger.

---

Here I want to introduce you to a comparison of the three localization options: Native English, Russian version from my modification, and official Russian "from a box":
Native English
Thumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail Image
Native Russian
Thumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail ImageThumbnail Image

---
I have many questions, but here are ones that I want to voice:
  • Why I was convinced in the fact that Russian localization will not appear in the game?
  • Who worked on that version localization, which was in the patch?
  • Why is my version have rejected despite having links to repository? (At time of my question letter I was posted repository on GitHub)
    Thumbnail Image
  • What are the plans the further development of Russian part of the the game?

P.S.: I'm sorry for my bad English. Read it for me much easier than to write.
toby3d
Blue Slime

Re: Terrible Russian localization

Postby Hot_Japan_Tv » Mon May 02, 2016 9:59 am

I fully agree with my russian friend) Where you was when you dropped this " localization"? It's just...i don't even... >:( >:(
Hot_Japan_Tv
Green Slime

Postby toby3d » Mon May 02, 2016 10:18 am

Hot_Japan_Tv wrote:I fully agree with my russian friend) Where you was when you dropped this " localization"? It's just...i don't even... >:( >:(

I could release mod with correct Russian localization, if only have eliminated problems in work of mods. Or if the developers contacted me and offered to implement my version into the game.
But, alas, the problem remains, and I have to just wait and play what we were offered the developers. :\
toby3d
Blue Slime

Postby Arachness » Tue May 03, 2016 2:40 pm

Sorry to hear that you found some issues with the Russian translation. You mentioned that there are incorrect terms/errors in it- would you be able to tell me what those are so we can look into it and fix it? We would like this to be correct.

Sorry for any misunderstanding in the past about being told Russian would not be in the game. We can't openly discuss future plans with the game until it's time to go public with it.
Arachness
Brace Yourself Games Staff

Postby toby3d » Tue May 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Arachness wrote:Sorry to hear that you found some issues with the Russian translation. You mentioned that there are incorrect terms/errors in it- would you be able to tell me what those are so we can look into it and fix it? We would like this to be correct.

Sorry for any misunderstanding in the past about being told Russian would not be in the game. We can't openly discuss future plans with the game until it's time to go public with it.
I'm sorry about this report, but you will have to fix a huge part of localization. As part of the semantic, as well as in design. In my mod, I try to take into account then, and then. Can I somehow expect at least for consideration my version of localization?
toby3d
Blue Slime

Postby Arachness » Tue May 03, 2016 2:56 pm

Would you be able to give me a few specific examples of errors/mistakes in the localization so we have an idea of the types of mistakes that you're seeing?
Arachness
Brace Yourself Games Staff

Postby toby3d » Wed May 04, 2016 2:30 am

Arachness wrote:Would you be able to give me a few specific examples of errors/mistakes in the localization so we have an idea of the types of mistakes that you're seeing?

Please:
  • Персонажа выбор - very wrong phrase build. Words need to be reversed.
  • мон. - why abbreviate short word?
  • Эффект "скоро босс" - seriously?!
  • Модификации - can be shortened to моды and nothing to lose.
  • Lobby should be transliterated in the лобби.
  • The word Fireball do not have a correct translation in Russian, but most people normally understand the meaning of the word in English.
  • As well as you can not simply transliterate Karate Gi.
  • As with Dance Pad.
  • Some subtitles Cadence are translated too aggressively. For example, in the cut-scene with his father translating perceived as if she hates him for being drunk or something like that.
  • Кодекс translated as гримуар. WHY?! It's as if I translated Documentation as Necronomicon.
  • Как совершить идеальное убийство - completely incorrect filing of original text, which should be translated as Как избежать кары (or наказания) за убийство.
  • In some places letters are absent! How so is possible?!
  • Almost all of the hints to objects are unreadable due to their design and stretching almost on all width of the screen.
I could go on, go on and on...
toby3d
Blue Slime

Postby toby3d » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:29 am

It took more than six months, but no patch and has not been fix this. It is sad. Very sad.
toby3d
Blue Slime

Return to Technical Support