Enemy designs

Want to suggest that we add something new to the game? Do it here!

Enemy designs

Postby Ryan Clark » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:12 pm

Hey Ted,

You can already see all the enemies that are currently in the game, but I thought I'd describe them to you anyway in case it helps you come up with designs for them!

- Zombie -- You've already completed him! But he's basically a wall hugger. He tries to keep a wall on one side of him at all times. He never intentionally seeks the player -- the player will only be hit if he gets in the way. They currently move every second beat, so they could perhaps use a "tell". But I'm also happy to just speed them up such that they move every beat... they might be more interesting/challenging that way.

- Skeleton -- Three flavours, currently: White, yellow, and black. These guys all directly seek the player, but only move every second beat. Yellow and black skeletons just have more health, and when injured sufficiently their heads will pop off and they will run directly away from the player, headless. They also currently hold their arms in the air as their "tell" that they're about to move.

- Slime -- Currently two varieties: Green and blue. Green move clockwise in a 2x2 square pattern, and they move each beat. Blue move up and down in a 1x2 rectangle pattern, and they move every second beat. The blue slimes also have slightly more health.

- Bat -- Currently two varieties: Purple and red. They both move purely randomly, which makes them quite difficult or risky to kill. As a result, they give out a decent number of coins when killed. Red bats have the same health as purple bats, but red bats move each beat whereas purple ones move only every second beat.

- Ghost -- Just one variety. They are "incorporeal" when the player has recently moved such that he is now CLOSER to the ghost. As soon as he moves such that he is FURTHER from the ghost, the ghost will become corporeal and seek the player, moving on every beat. While incorporeal, ghosts cannot be killed. I currently make this clear to the player by setting the sprite's alpha appropriately, making it appear translucent. If you design a ghost such that you want the whole thing to be translucent when incorporeal, I can do this in the engine. But if you want some sprites to be translucent and others not translucent, you'll need to give me separate images for corporeal and incorporeal.

- Mimic -- These are the blue guys that turn red when they get within 2 tiles of the player. I'm not really happy with how these guys work, so don't bother making them! I think I'm going to remove them. I'm not happy with them because they can be quite difficult to kill with just a dagger, and I want all enemies in the game to be killable with a dagger. (Some might be VERY hard to kill with a dagger, but for a player of sufficient skill it should always be possible.) The behaviour of the mimics currently is too confusing, so players might not feel that they are fair enough or predictable enough, so let's leave them out for now.

- TrapChests -- I'm not sure if you've seen these yet! If you play long enough, you'll encounter one. They look like treasure chests, but when you get within a few tiles of them they start moving to the beat a little bit. This is the giveaway that they're trapchests and not chests. To kill them, players have to stand next to them (to get the chest to come alive and show its teeth) and then back up one tile, then strike. This basically forces players to always be vigilant, which I like :) We could also make them look SLIGHTLY different, even when the player is far away, just to keep it sporting.

- Wraith -- These are the partially visible purple pixelly guys that appear out of nowhere and make a sound. They seek the player every frame, and become visible quite close to the player, forcing them to react quickly. If a player has a better torch, wraiths will become visible when further away, thereby giving the player more time to react. I like these guys a lot, as they force quick thinking. Otherwise the game can currently be a little too easy for skilled players. If you can see everything that's coming at you, it's fairly easy to plan an attack strategy that doesn't leave you exposed. Wraiths throw a little monkey wrench in those plans :)

- Monkey -- Two varieties, brown and white. They both seek the player every frame, then jump on him and immobilize him. They do not hurt the player! But they hang on and force the player to "shake them off" which takes a few frames. (It takes more frames with the white monkey.) During this time, if there are other enemies around, those enemies might hit the player. Getting a monkey on your back while a dragon is around could be catastrophic! But if the player hits the monkey before it latches on, it will die easily. I like these dudes for the same reason I like Wraiths -- they can mess up your plans, so you need to be wary when you see one!

- Dragon -- I'm not planning to have dragons appear in the game as often as they do now. I'd like them to be a bit of a surprise when they do appear. That way the player is always listening for the dragon sounds approaching, and watching for the tell-tale screen shake... watching for it, even when it's not there! I plan to have other similar "minibosses" who will be larger than normal enemies and be quite formidable. But if the player can kill them while "in the groove", the groove multiplier means that the player can get quite a haul of coins by skillfully killing a miniboss! Also, currently dragons always start out next to a chest that contains one of the more powerful "golden" weapons. Another reward for managing to survive the assault. Oh, and on later levels, I expect there'll be red dragons (they move a few times then shoot a fireball, repeat), blue dragons (they'll shoot ice instead of fireballs, and the ice will make the floor tiles slippery), etc.

- Shopkeeper -- More like an NPC than an enemy! I think he should look as greedy as possible, as in the metagame it'll be costly to get him to do things for you.

Ok, I'm sure that's plenty to keep you going, now!
Ryan Clark
Founder, Brace Yourself Games

Re: Enemy designs

Postby Ted Martens » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Thanks for this list with descriptions of the enemies, Ryan. Knowing exactly how they behave definitely helps when I'm coming up with how they should look.

Here are the two bat sprites:

1:1 version
Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Postby Ted Martens » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:29 pm

sssssslime tiiime. A slime monster with a couple small variations. #3 isn't see through and has the brightest colors. #1 and #2 are see through in slightly different ways. The second image is what it could look like if you get hit by a slime and it absorbs you. There could be some muffled *blub* *blub* sounds with the music muffled or slowed down, and animated bubbles or a screen ripple effect?

UPDATE: 1:1 sprite versions here
Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Postby Ryan Clark » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:34 am

Slime looks great, Ted! Can I get a blue version?

Also, I tried putting the slimes and new bats in the game and they look great, but without animation they feel pretty stiff, of course. I'm thinking it might make sense to prioritize the animation, and put the other art on the back burner. If the enemies don't animate to the beat, the game loses a lot of its charm, I think.

So, maybe I should just create 24x24 placeholders myself, for all the other stuff on our May 1st deadline list, and you just focus on the enemies and shopkeeper NPC? (Including animation.)

I can give you a build today so you can see the bats and slime for yourself.
Ryan Clark

Postby Ted Martens » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:03 pm

We're going to get the most frequently seen enemies and characters designed and animated instead of filling the game with re-designed monsters that fit the new style but don't move. Here is the blue/purple bat animated

1:1 frames for blue bat

1:1 frames for red bat

and a blue version of the slime

I started to animate the slime and thought he'd have more personality with arms. I'll adjust the above artwork to match if it works well:
Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Postby Ted Martens » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:51 pm

hahahah oh man I like the way this guy turned out :) Animations for green and blue slimes:

Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Postby Ryan Clark » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:53 pm

lol, these are just hilarious, in the game. The anim has so much character! Those slimes are getting FUNKY.
Ryan Clark

Postby Ted Martens » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:29 pm

Heheheheh. Man I like the way this turned out. The skeleton was a good opportunity for some pelvis wigglin'

replace the zombie sprite sheet to see it in-game (skeleton sprites were still the old resolution)
Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Postby Ryan Clark » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:48 pm

Ahahah, I laughed out loud when I saw this in game. The animated gif is great, but it's even better in game with the music! Great job, Ted!

Skeletons are a bit special, currently, so we need a few more things:

- A yellow version
- A black version

For all 3 versions we need "tell" frames that I can show in place of these current ones, to indicate that the skeleton is about to move.

For the yellow and black versions we need frames that I can show in place of these current ones where the skeleton has no head. (The head gets knocked off and they run.)

Thanks!
Ryan Clark

Postby Ted Martens » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Hahah yeah the skeleton is great in-game. I have the arms drawn down for his tell animation, and will check out the XML for him tomorrow.

Here's a work in progress shot of the the treasure chest and yellow skeleton color

Ted Martens
Yellow Skeleton

Next

Return to Suggest New Features